Search This Blog

Monday, May 9, 2011

Media Monday - Gripin


I have a new favorite music group.  Their name is Gripin.  They are based in Istanbul, Turkey, so yeah their music is all in Turkish.  It looks like they started out as a cover band doing mostly Britpop and some American Alternative and Turkish rock. 

Their website is - http://www.gripin.org/

Unfortunately it is only in Turkish and doesn’t seem to translate using Google.  But they have a few pictures that are nice and a video if you want to check out their website out.

They have three albums (40 songs in all) available on iTunes.  Their first album was released in 2004 titled Hikayeler Anlatıldı (Stories are Told).  The second album titled Gripin came out in 2007.  The most recent album M.S 05.03.2010 came out in 2010.

So far my favorite songs are Daha Gencsin & Cok Kisa (Acoustic Version) from their first album.  I also like Olduğu Kadar and Sana Ne Bundan? from Gripin and from their latest album M.S 05.03.2010 I really like Durma Yağmur Durma & Akşamlar. Unfortunately becuae they are not that popular (yet? J) Olduğu Kadar and Durma Yağmur Durma are the only songs that I have easily found translations for.

I am not very good at describing music so I guess one of the best ways for me to explain what they sound like is to let you know some of the groups that iTunes Genius puts with them.  Here are some of the groups that it put on a list of songs that go with Cok Kisa (Acoustic Version): Cold Play, Keane, Kaiser Chiefs, The Fratellis, Lilly Allen, the Rasmus, Razorlight, Snow Patrol, older U2 songs, and Robbie Williams.  I admit that I don’t have a lot of Turkish music, but there is not one Turkish artist (other then Gripin) on the list.

So if you are looking to expand your musical horizons, don’t care that you don’t understand the lyrics, or you are looking for new Turkish music check out Gripin.

No comments:

Post a Comment